The old town of Kotor is one of the best-preserved medieval towns in this part of the Mediterranean. It was succeeded in preserving its original form, so typical of towns between the XII and the XIV century. The asymmetric structure of the narrow streets and squares, combined with the numerous valuable monuments of medieval architecture, contributed to Kotor being placed on UNESCO’s “The world natural and cultural inheritance” list.
The cultural inheritance of this town is enriched by the unique architectural styles and the ambient atmosphere. The fortification system of Kotor, which protects it from the sea, is actually a wall 4.5 km long, 20 m high and 15 m wide, and is preserved as one of the world’s historic values.
Construction and Buildings of Kotor Stari Grad
The construction of the ramparts was initiated in the Illyrian age and they were built and rebuilt up to the XVIII century. The oldest town gate, of the three existing in the town, is the “South” gate which was partially constructed in the IX century. The “North” and the “Main” gates were build in the renaissance style by the first half of the XVI century. The most representative monument of Roman architecture in the Adriatic is the magnificent Cathedral of St. Tryphon’s, constructed in 1166 and built on the remains of the former temple from the IX century. There are the remains of the frescos from the XIV century and the valuable treasury with domestic and Venetian golden works dating from the XIV to the XX century. Besides the cathedral, in the hart of the town, there are magnificent examples of sacral architecture originating from XII till XX century.
– The Romanic church of St. Lucas was built during the reign of the great ruler Nemanja and his son Vukan in 1195.
– The Roman church of St. Ana dates from the end of the XII century and has fresco’s dating back from the XV century.
– The Roman church of St. Mary dates from 1221. The church contains the remains of a monumental fresco painting as well as an early Christian baptistry.
– The Gothic church of St. Mihovil was built on the remains of the Benediction monastery from the VII century with fresco’s dating back from XV century.
– St. Clara’s church dates from the XIV century with the extremely beautiful marble altar, the work of Francesco Cabianca, from the XVIII century.
– The Church of Lady of health originates from the XV century.
– The Orthodox Church of St. Nicolas was built by the beginning of the XX century with a valuable collection of icons.
There are also numerous palaces in the Kotor Stari Grad : the Drago palace with Gothic windows from the XV century, the Bizanti palace from the XVII century, the Pima palace, with typical renaissance and baroque forms from the XVI century the Grubonja palace with the built-in emblem of the old Kotor’s pharmacy established in 1326; the Grgurina palace, from the XVII century, which today contains the Naval museum, and finally the Clock tower, from the XVI century, with the medieval pillory just beside it.