Many people consider Ada Bojana to be a natural reservation of national park type. This is a river isle, at the very end of Great Beach, at the spot where the river Bojana gets separated from the beach. The isle is a triangle, with the Bojana River from two sides and the Adriatic Sea from the third one.
Sveti Nikola island is located opposite to the town of Budva, 1 km from Budva’s old town. The island is 2 km long, and it has an area of 36 hectares (89 acres). The highest point on the island is a cliff that rises 121 meters (397 ft) above the sea. The island is a popular excursion site in the Budva area.
Sveti Marko Island is located near the town of Tivat, in the Boka Kotorska (Bay of Kotor). It is aligned with the Tivat’s other island, Prevlaka Island. The island is entirely covered with greenery. In 1962, a tourist settlement was built there, with 500 Tahiti-style houses, without water supply or electricity. It was managed by Club Med, and until the Yugoslav wars, it was a very popular tourist destination.
Prevlaka Island also known as Ostrvo Cvijeća (Island of flowers) is located near the town of Tivat, in the Boka Kotorska (Bay of Kotor). The island is 300 m long and 200 m wide. It is connected with mainland by a narrow isthmus. The island was the residence of the metropolitan of Zeta’s diocese from 13th to the 15th century.
Gospa od Skrpjela
The construction of Gospa od Skrpjela
Our Gospa od Skrpjela (Lady of the Rock) is an exquisite anomaly which grew, perhaps, out of remorse for the heinous act perpetrated on St George. Around a small crag (skripio in Dalmatian dialect) local people started to built another island.
It began with the hulls of scuttled ships and was reinforced by stones carried boatload after boatload to form a seat for a votive chapel which in 1630 they dedicated to the intercession of the mother of Christ. By 1725 the original chapel of the Gospa od Skrpjela had been enlarged by the addition of a sanctuary with a distinctive octagonal dome.