The beautiful Orthodox cathedral, near the King Nikola Palace, is located at Petrova Glavica. It is dedicated to the fallen Montenegrin and Herzegovinian warriors in the liberation wars against the Ottomans, and their names can be seen on memorial plaques in the interior, which was not painted with icons.
When the Diocese of Zahumlje-Raska was established in 1878, the decision was made to have its centre at Nikšić. During the construction of the cathedral from 1895 to 1900, the first bishop of Zahumlje-Raska, Visarion Ljubiša (1878-1882), stayed temporarily in the nearby Ostrog monastery. The cathedral was designed by the Russian architect Mikhail Timofeevich Preobrazhensky.