On a former island, near Vranjina village, in 1843, the Montenegrin ruler Petar II Petrovic Njegos built the famous Lesendro fortress, on a 3000 m² area. The surface of the towers and buildings within the fortress is of approximately 980 m².
The position of the island is of great historical and strategic significance, which could be capitalized on. The area where Lesendro is located is the only water passage, a very narrow one, between the two parts of the Skadarsko Jezero. This is why this important place has been called the “key of Skadar Lake”.
Nowadays the fortress is abandoned; it has decayed, due to weather conditions. Aiming to make the fortress alive,
the public administration is looking for public-private partnership for complex restoration works.
The plans recommend its original shape to be preserved, with possible reconstruction of the towers and buildings within the fortress. The inner structures of the citadel could host various tourism and culture activities, while
preserving an administrative function.