The natal home of Njegos was build by Peter I Petrovic, who divided it in three parts, for his tree brothers Sava, Stijepo and Tomo. Sava got northeast, Stijepo southwest and Tomo the middle part of the house. It was build like an integer from Montenegrin hewed rock, on the arch, so in the parterre is vault, and above it residence.
The house is 27.60 meters long, 5.20 meters height from the north and 2.66 from the south because of the terrain gradient. Roof was covered with ray straw, not with cane as some writers say, because people didn’t breed it here, and attic with hurdle. According to Marko Jovan Popovic, a local man with great knowledge of tradition, old house like the new one from 1836 was build by bricklayers “Novljani” from Herceg Novi. During long time, some repair’s were made on the old house, but it’s walls remained unchanged.
During first repair in 1836, straws roof was changed with brick from Crmnica. Second minor repair was made in 1893, and third in 1936. when the front door on the northeast part which belonged to Savo Markov was enlarged, from 168 cm x 80 cm to 2.2 meter x 2 meter and that room was readjusted for local warehouse. Next to the door is aperture, it’s used as lardure, with the dimensions of 53 x 50 cm. Two windows, dimensions 70 x 49 cm, are unchanged.
During long time, some repair’s were made on the old house, but it’s walls remained unchanged. During first repair in 1836, straws roof was changed with brick from Crmnica. Second minor repair was made in 1893, and third in 1936. when the front door on the northeast part which belonged to Savo Markov was enlarged, from 168 cm x 80 cm to 2.2 meter x 2 meter and that room was readjusted for local warehouse. Next to the door is aperture with the dimensions of 53 x 50 cm.
Two windows, dimensions 70 x 49 cm, are unchanged. In the part of the house belonging to Tomo Markov, where Njegos is borne, very small changes were made with repairs.The front door with dimensions 1.68 meter x 80 cm stayed the same. Next to it, on the right side, Is aperture, dimensions 60 x 53 cm which is used for keeping water dish. There is one large room, 9.40 long, 5 wide and 2.75 meters high. The floor is above the cope and it’s paved in 1936, smoother than in the other parts of the house. On the northwest are two windows, dimension 70 x 48 cm. Attic is made from fir’s boards which changed the old hurdle. Inside the house are three aperture, one next to the door, dimensions 70 x 48 cm, has been used for keeping water dish, and two smaller ones, 50 x 48 cm, for other things. In southwest part of the room, in the middle part of the wall, behind quondam hearth, in 1936. chimney has been built. In the left part of the wall has been built a “pepeljak” (used for making bread), instead of the old one. In the parterre is vault which was used as pantry and sometimes for cattle’s. His size is a bit smaller than the upper room because of the arch. There are doors, 1.80 meter x 96 cm, that leads to the yard, window, 85 x 60 cm, and loophole, 35 x 16 cm. In the sonthwest part of the house, which belonged to Stijepo, the biggest changes were made with repairs. The old front doors, turned to south, were immured in 1936. and instead of it, another doors were made in the flank of the house. And larder, next to the door, was also immured than. Inner part of the Stijepo’s house is totally changed and redecorated.. Nevertheless, the basement has stayed the same: 8.65 long, 4.65 wide and 1.90 meter high. There are doors, towards yard, 1.82 x 1 meter and window 66 x 46 cm. Next to the house is “Palac”, King Nikolas court.
In the house is museum collection with objects that belonged to Njegos and his ancestors. In the southwest part of the house that belonged to Stijepo Markov is: offices, souvenir shop and ticket service. There are exhibits: Njegos’s portrait, made in bronze by Ivan Mestrovic, chart with pedigree of the Petrovic dynasty, books written by bishops and rulers from the Petrovic Njegos house. In the middle part, that belonged to Tomo Markov, Njegos’s father, next to the chimney, is stone hearth with chains and brass pot. The rooms that belonged to Stijepo is an exibit which includes: model of Biljarda (by M. Bozovic) , five diplomas; “Njegos with escort”, picture by M. Jovicevic, every Njegos’s book, translations of “Mountain Wrath”, portrait of Njegos (by M. Vrbica), “Assembly” (by S. Vujovic). In the basement is millstone, plought and other agricultural tools, which were used in that time.